Learn to Sail/Intro to Opti Sailing
- For beginners ages 8 – 14 with no sailing experience or some summer camp experience
- Boats and sails provided
- No tryouts, everyone welcome!
- Fall 2021: August 24 – December 4th
- Winter/Spring Dates: January 4th – April 24th
- Sundays from 10 am to Noon
- Tuesdays from 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
What to Expect:
- The program will teach sailors the basics of boat handling and seamanship; how to sail upwind and downwind, round marks and sail a basic racecourse; launch and return unassisted to and from the beach, and how to self-right a capsized Opti.
- Commitment to the practice schedule.
- Limited to the first 10 registrants
What to Bring to Practice:
- US Coast Guard-approved life jacket
- Reusable water bottle
- Tight-fitting gloves and water shoes
- Long sleeve sun shirts, bathing suit
- Hats, sunglasses, buffs, sunblock
- Light rain jacket if inclement weather forecasted
For those sailors that complete one full season, they may be ready to compete in an end-of-season regatta either at the Upper Keys Sailing Club or at an away venue. More information about regatta participation will come during the season.
- $475 per child per season
- Payable via Zelle, Venmo, Paypal or personal check
- Session fee is the same for sailors attending one or multiple practices per week
- Refunds during academic year programs are not allowed
Register your child:
- Zelle: add “email@example.com” as a recipient
- Venmo: find us at “@msyspkids” or “Mark Sorensen Youth Sailing”
- Paypal: Pay or Donate to MSYSP
- If paying by check, please make payable to MSYSP.