Learn to Sail/Intro to Opti Sailing
- For beginners ages 8 – 14 with no sailing experience, some summer camp experience, and for those that completed our shortened fall 2020 season.
- Boats and sails provided
- No tryouts, everyone welcome!
- Fall 2020: September 29 – November 15
- Winter/Spring Dates: January 17 – April 25th
- Sundays from 10 am to Noon
- Wednesdays and Thursdays 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
What to Expect:
- The program will teach sailors the basics of boat handling and seamanship; how to sail upwind and downwind, round marks and sail a basic racecourse; launch and return unassisted to and from the beach, and how to self-right a capsized Opti.
- Commitment to the practice schedule.
- Limited to the first 8 registrants
What to Bring to Practice:
- US Coast Guard-approved life jacket
- Reusable water bottle
- Tight-fitting gloves and water shoes
- Long sleeve sun shirts, bathing suit
- Hats, sunglasses, buffs, sunblock
- Light rain jacket if inclement weather forecasted
- Buffs or neck gaiters covering nose and mouth must be worn at all times while on land.
For those sailors that completed our fall 2020 season, we strongly encourage them to participate in 2 or 3 regattas in the winter/spring season, including our very own Buccaneer Blast Regatta on February 27-28 in Key Largo.
- $475 per child for the Winter/Spring 2021 season if paid in full at the beginning of the season.
- Or $35 per week for each of the 14 weeks of the season payable via Venmo, Paypal, or Check.
- Checks should be made payable to MSYSP.
Register your child:
- LTS/Intro to Optis Registration Form
- If your sailor did not attend the Fall 2020 season, please sign the MSYSP Waiver Form: General Liability-Indemnity Agreement
- Complete Payment:
- To pay in full or weekly via Paypal.
- To pay in full or weekly with Venmo (preferred payment method) please download the app to your mobile phone and add “@msyspkids” as a recipient.
- If paying by check, please make payable to MSYSP.